Sunday 13 May 2012

Brain Power Brownies


My answer to Scooby Snacks for those revising. 

Currently in the crux of final year exams, memory and cognitive ability is pretty high on the agenda in comparison to the norm.

The Problem: Whilst taking a break from revision in the new forum on Exeter Campus (which for the record is remarkably like and airport and yes, I do feel like Tom Hanks in The Terminal, having semi-moved in during this lovely time of year) I wanted to treat myself with something chocolatey for the revision I'd done during the day. I was however, stuck with manufactured food all of which I knew I would only feel guilty after eating them and non of which would do anything to help increase my chances of doing remotely better in my exams (I figure if something has a chance of benefiting my brain it balances out the negatives to my waist line!)

The Solution: I duly googled brain power foods and obviously, as I'm sure you're aware if you've done the same ... blueberries are pretty good for your brain, as are strawberries good for cognitive functioning and surprisingly so is dark chocolate; its good for making you feel less tired and mentally drained (I'm not going to question these web people that are clearly talking some good sense!) This lead me to one conclusion ... I might as well make a revision aiding brownie stuffed with blueberries and strawberries ... guilt free goodness!

The result I can assure you is worthy of a 1st!

You will need the following:
Makes 12 thick squares
(depending on how many squares you get, depends on how thick you want your brownies)
Pre-heat oven to 180°C
Bake to perfection for 50 minutes

You will need the following:
225g Granulated Sugar
200g Dark Chocolate
25g Cocoa Powder
75g Self-Raising Flour
100g Butter
1/2 tsp Salt
2 Eggs
2tbsp Milk
100g Blueberries
100g Strawberries




Method:
Mix the granulated sugar, cocoa powder, self raising flour and salt together

Melt the butter in the microwave for 1 minute, then add to the mixture

Melt the chocolate in the microwave for 1 minute, then add to mixture

Add the eggs one at a time

Next add the fruit

Then add the milk

Grease your baking tray

Pour into the tray and bake to perfection for 50 minutes

Allow to cool & enjoy with a bit of revision...

No comments:

Post a Comment