Sunday 7 October 2012

Blackberry Picking


Its that time of year to forage amongst the hedgerows. The upcoming months welcome plenty of excuses to bake & fresh produce is the best of excuses. We are officially well into autumn, there is no denying that we are on the slippery slope to Winter & Christmas. I adore autumn & I adore how optimistic the British are about autumn; describing the blinding cold weather as 'crisp', focusing on the clear blue skies rather than the dark mornings & the changing colour of the leaves, whilst trying to avoid the commercial onslaught of Christmas. 


My weekend has been typically autumnal ... I was strolling around John Lewis and came across 'The Christmas Shop', its only just turned October and already there are early Christmas offers everywhere. In the Waitrose weekend paper there was a special pull out 'Countdown to Christmas', and a few weeks ago Scott Mills played Mariah Carey's 'All I Want For Christmas Is You' ... it seems I'm not doing so well at avoiding  the commercial onslaught of Christmas!


I'm not so good with the cold weather, braving the 'crisp' (in my opinion mind numbingly freezing cold)  weather today I donned my Barbour, a million & one layers and wellies to go foraging for some blackberries. It is a great time to pick blackberries, if you live near a hedgerow they are in abundance! I went out with an old 2 Litre ice cream tub in order to gather enough blackberries to make some jam and a crumble. So you can guess that there may be some blackberry recipes following shortly! 


The only downside is that I now have really rather purple fingers & several puncture wounds from the copious amount of thorns that blackberries are surrounded by. However, both worth it for the abundance of blackberries that are sat in the fridge ready to be turned into some fruity baked goodness tomorrow! 


My advice ... avoid the pricey blackberries on supermarket shelves 
&
go and pick your own!



No comments:

Post a Comment